"The best way to predict the future is to create it" ~ Abraham Lincoln
I can't believe that it has been an entire year since I last posted to my blog. Too long. I can sit here and make excuses but at the end of the day I need to make a commitment to write on a regular basis, which I will do! However, this post isn't about my writing goals for the year, it's about what my "One Little Word" will be for this school year.
It always amazing to me how things manifest when you're present in the moment and pay attention to what's happening around you. This summer as I enjoyed the break with my partner Jenny and my beautiful daughter Zoe, I reflected a lot on my first year as Principal and what I learned about leadership. The time I spent with the two of the them really impressed upon me the importance of being together. All the fun things we did this summer wouldn't have been the same if the three of us weren't together.
The word "together" kept speaking to me and eventually became my "One Little Word" when I was doing some professional reading and came across Simon Sinek's book "Together is Better". The tiny picture book is a perfect fit to what I believe is important in leadership. Everyone is a leader. We all have gifts that the students we serve deserve to experience. So after buying the book and breathing in its scent infused optimism (yes, it literally has a scent) I began to consider what "together" means for our school. The list below is why I believe together is the perfect "One Little Word" for me for this year.
- together we will continue to improve our mathematics achievement
- together we will be consistent in the instructional strategies we use
- together we will find our students' passions, and tap into them
- together we will model what it means to be mindful
- together we will use our individual talents to engage students
- together we will make relevant connections to community partners
- together we will support each other, in good times and bad
- together we will learn from each other
- together we will make Aldborough P.S. a great place to learn and grow
- together we will celebrate our achievements
- together we will support our students as leaders
I'm sure when I put my list out to the world those that will read this far will have a few of their own. I'd love for you to comment and tell me what you think, because together really is better!
This post is dedicated to my daughter Zoe and my partner Jenny because being together with you has not only inspired my "One Little Word" but has helped me learn so much about leading and learning.